Following my last post, 4 tips to get started on your laundry makeover project, I got a few messages asking for ideas on how I’d go with beautifying the space without compromising functionality.
You see, when it comes to styling a space, the sky is the limit.
However, what’s the point of a beautiful laundry room (or any room) that isn’t conducive to your day-to-day tasks?The challenge in design is marrying aesthetics to functionality.
Here are 10 DIY tips that not only make life easier, but also beautify your laundry room:
- A place for everyday stuff – Use baskets with liners to store everyday items such as scourers, drier sheets, sponges, ‘lonely socks’, ironing aids, stain removal etc. Label them to your liking and style so you know what each basket contains. The liners help disguise the contents and gives a streamlined look.
- Banish “boring” – Use transfers or stamps to decorate an otherwise uninspiring door or drawer. I used a transfer for the doors in the vertical storage and clear stamp and dye for the ironing drawer my husband had made.
- Don’t forget the door handles – Sometimes, simply changing the handles on your cabinetry brightens up your space!
- A centrepiece – Every room you enter needs a centrepiece – something that grabs the visitor’s attention. So, why not one for your laundry too? The main artwork in mine is a hanging photo board showcasing my children’s first clothes. I’ve hung them using cute little embellished pegs. I’m filled with love and awe every time I look at them. So much so that I begin my work with a smile on my face. Plus, it looks like they are clothes hanging on a line. Completely in sync with the purpose of the room!
- The walls (pt. 1) – Use pretty picture frames and print out useful reference information such as “the stain removal guide”, artwork with funny or inspirational quotes, recipes for homemade cleaning products and garment label codes etc.
- The walls (pt. 2) – I love plants. They are always a staple item in my décor. I have three storage hexagons that I painted, and they house my three very happy African violets.
- Storing items that are easily misplaced – Buy small storage drawers for small things like loose change from pockets, buttons that have fallen during the wash, shirt collar stiffeners and the like.
- Mmm, what’s that fragrance? – I have an oil burner so I can burn my favourite essential oil when I’m in the laundry for more than 20 minutes, or when I’m ironing or folding. I love pine, Australian bush scents or other refreshing, uplifting fragrances.
- Say NO to boring packaging – Use inexpensive pretty bottles, dispensers, mason jars and even a whisky or wine decanter to store your laundry detergents. I use the whisky decanter to store my homemade fabric softener. Don’t forget to label them, to avoid a washing disaster! This one time… (oops, that’s a story for another day!)
- Make decluttering easy – Have a pretty basket of considerable size on top of a cupboard to put aside clothing to be donated. Once full, transfer it to a larger bag and take it to the local charity store or H&M that recycle them.
There you go – 10 DIY tips you can try today to beautify your laundry room.
The best part is you don’t have to do all of them.
Pick one and start now.
You’ll be well on your way to a beautify laundry room in no time.